Astral Nomads

One man, one woman, one rabbit......traveling with the stars.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Finding a Second Autumn


One of the nice side effects of traveling south at this time of year is being able to find autumn again. We had pretty well exhausted the autumn colors in Maryland. We arrived in Maryland near peak and, unexpectedly, stayed until most of the color had drained away. Today we motored (Eurovan purring nicely) from Bristol Virginia to just south of Macon Georgia (home of the fabulous Allman Brothers band!) A couple of smooth transitions occurred that were most welcome: the gradual re-appearance of fall colors and a warming up of the air. Sweet!

With Boffyflow and Spike, I said I could describe the leaves
For Samuel and Felicity, rich, red browney, half burnt orange and green

Didn't I come to bring you a sense of wonder?
Didn't I come to lift your fiery vision bright?
Didn't I come to bring you a sense of wonder in the flame?

It's easy to describe the leaves in the Autumn
And it's, oh so easy in the Spring
But down through January and February
It's a very different thing*


Sorry Tennessee, just passing through. Went through Lexington and Chattanooga (Choo-Choo!) but we really didn't make any significant stops. Hope to hit the Great Smoky Mountains next summer. We'll see.


These are only minor smoky mountains.



Walk along the river, sweet lullaby, it just keeps on flowing,
It don't worry 'bout where it's going, no, no.
Don't fly, mister blue bird, I'm just walking down the road,
Early morning sunshine tell me all I need to know

You're my blue sky, you're my sunny day.
Lord, you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way,
Turn your love my way, yeah.**



Tennessee River.







By-passing Atlanta. You know the old joke:
"Don't matter if you're going to heaven or hell.
You still have to change planes in Atlanta"

-Gerry (text) & Wendy (shooting from the van)

* Sense of Wonder, Van Morrison
**Blue Sky, Allman Brothers Band.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Wynne... a little hard to capture what I want as we barrel down the Interstate, but I don't give up that easily. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "On the road again..."

    You were just an hour away from me as you passed through Lexington! I waved, did you see me?

    ReplyDelete